Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Snowfall

The funeral went well, all things considered, I thought as I meandered through the park alone. A week since Christmas, and already the snow was beginning to irritate. Too damn much of the stuff, but then again, that’s Michigan weather for you.

I turned and walked over to the banks of the river, leaving the forested trail behind me and watching the roaring rapids churn, frigid with the weather. Funny how it could move through the ice, never freezing and unable to freeze over with its motion. Tumbling stones, tumbling rocks, tumbling anything that fell into its flow until even the most ragged edges smoothed. Tumbling, churning, polishing over and over again.

We’d held the funeral at Fountain Street Church. It’s… where she’d have wanted to be, in the sacred, peaceful halls under the watchful gaze of the Savior. She’d looked so peaceful in her casket, as if she’d merely been sleeping and nothing more. Sleeping, and waiting for me. Waiting, as she always would, in some other world.

It’d been hard, dealing with the grief. It still is, to be honest. Still hard, visiting her grave and sitting, talking as if she could talk back, remembering her laugh. We buried her in a cemetery plot near the river. She always loved the river, the roaring rapids. That’s why we’d moved to the apartments near the riverside. So we could always look out, every morning, and see the river flowing past us below. She told me once, she told me that it reminded her to always push forward, to always keep moving ahead, never back. Cheesy, but that’s what she said.

I miss that about her. God, I miss her. At least Dr. Rosewater, my therapist, is back in office after the holidays. Finally, someone I can talk to and relate to, someone other than Andrew from next door. Not that he wasn’t a nice kid, but he was hardly a professional and he had more to worry about than my problems. Like his upcoming MCAT in the spring, how else would he get into med school without passing that? The kid needed to save his emotional and mental energy, not play case study with me.

I keep up often with him now, sending him baked goods every so often when I get the time. He probably would appreciate them more than I would; I can’t eat them all myself…

I stoop, picking up a small pebble, and cast it into the river’s rapids. It spins in midair, arcing, and finally lands in the freezing waters with a soft plip. The branches on the trees behind me creaked softly, gently in the wind. I hadn’t seen any of the demons for a week now, not hide nor hair of any of them. The memory of them continues to horrify me, but no longer do they follow me, tormenting me with things I can’t bear. No longer am I hunted. No longer am I haunted by them.

Well, perhaps not quite, I remind myself as the pill bottle rattles softly in my jacket pocket. The little blue, oval pills did come in handy from time to time, even if I have been doing better lately. There’s something about this park, I think, that makes my mind return to darker places. Familiar places it shudders at going, but still goes boldly into. Maybe my mind’s learning to cope with my anxiety, or maybe I just want it to be so, but I swear when I walk here, the Ravens turn to look at me every so often, as if scrutinizing me, as if they remember me.

And if I’m very quiet, and in just the right mindset when I look into the distant trees, I swear I’ll see a tall figure, black-clad, walking through them, or hear the distant sound of a little girl’s laughter…

No comments:

Post a Comment